Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Kitchen Talk: I Bake Therefore I Am

This afternoon I asked my 6 year old daughter if she liked the Lucious Lemon Blueberry muffin I sent in her lunch today. She said "...ya. But why do you have to bake so many muffins, Mommy?". Pardon? Huh? I told her "I love to bake and I like sending you to school with something that I made in my kitchen".

Then Hubby pipes in "You do tend to make a lot of muffins. Every Sunday you make them and then sometimes again later in the week". So, what is this? A Muffin Intervention?!? Are they going to take away my mixing bowls and muffin tins?? ;)

Am I addicted to baking? Most definitely. I love the hunt for a great recipe whether it's from a site online, from one of my numerous cookbooks or from the ever-growing file I have on my computer. Also, I find baking very cathartic for me. I find it rewarding to build something from scratch and turn into something pretty (and having it taste good is, literally, like icing on the cake).

Back to the conversation with my dearest daughter .... she then asks if she can please, please, PLEASE have one of those cheese and cracker snack packs (you know, the kind with the mini bread sticks and *sigh* Cheez Whiz). Just turn that knife in my heart a little more, darlin'! ;) lol I guess we always crave the things that we don't get often.

Maybe after eating some of the store bought stuff she'll learn to appreciate my home baking. No worries. I'm sure that when she's older she'll look back and appreciate all of the hard work her dear old Mom did for her while working away in her kitchen. *sniff*. At least I bake because I love it and I'm not looking for kudos each and every time. ;)

Now, when I asked my daughter what she'd prefer me to make her for her first nutrition break instead of muffins do you know what she suggested??? She said "Cupcakes!". You mean, the sweet cousin of .... the muffin?

I'm now going to go bang my head against the wall ... then bake some muffins. ;)

6 comments:

mvandooren said...

9 times out of 10 at least one of my children won't eat what I bake. Fortunately I have 6 other children in the house that will normally finish off whatever is left. As for school lunches ... well, there is rarely anything homemade left that they'll eat. Those cheese and breadsticks that never expire come in handy for filler. They can go back and forth for a week and remain just as they were when they started. :)

Laurie said...

Well, the kids inhaled those crackers and cheese things .... but asked for a muffin after school lol. I think I'll try to find some other school options. I'd love to find a nut-free granola bar that isn't too gooey with corn syrup etc. Some granola bars have more sugar than a cookie!

Janssen said...

If your family is going to complain, I'm happy to give you my home address and you can ship them to me ;)

Laurie said...

I'll keep that in mind, Janssen. :) I think my kids are getting tired of muffins specifically so I'll try some other things for their lunches for a bit and see how it goes. I don't eat as many of the muffins as they do so I guess that's why I'm not bored of them yet. :) I honestly think that my kids think that weekly baking is the norm for most households. I've spoiled them apparently! ;)

Kym said...

I know this is an old blog post, but I just came across it and it made me laugh. I laughed because I clearly remember my mom baking EVERYTHING from scratch in our lunches, cookies, muffins, cakes etc. and I desperately wanted an Oreo. Just one Oreo like all the other kids (whose moms clearly didn't love them like mine did!)had. My poor mom. I am calling her tonight to apologize.
I am 2 short weeks away from my daughter starting kindergarten and my foray into the "school lunch" world. Wish me luck!!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Oh Kym .. I love that this old post can still make you laugh. I'm sure Miss M will have a ball at JK. It's harder on us Moms than it is on the kids, I think. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails