Saturday, 13 February 2010

Chewy Oatmeal Cookies


My 200th posting!! Wow! I can't believe I've had that much to post in only 5 months lol. This recipe is a wonderful way to celebrate this milestone.

I got this recipe from one of the most respected posters on the Today's Parent recipe forum ... Greensleeves (who is also a follower of my blog). This cookie is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. My kids requested chocolate chips instead of raisins in the batch I did today and I've gotta say ... these are really good (I ate 4 cookies myself ... just to make sure!).

I also love the size of these cookies when you use the small melon baller. I think they'll be perfect for the kids' school lunches.

You can try adding some cinnamon, a bit of cloves and nutmeg if you'd like more of a spicy cookie.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups oats (not instant)
1 cup chocolate chips OR 1 1/2 cups raisins

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture to wet mixture. Do not over mix or you'll have a tough cookie! Fold in oats and chocolate chips or raisins.

Using a small melon baller (or a tablespoon) drop dough 2-inches apart onto a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray OR lined with parchment paper (my preferred method).

Bake for 11-13 minutes (on centre rack) until golden but still moist beneath cracks on top. Remove from oven; let cookies sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool. Store in an airtight container.

Tip: If your raisins are too dried out, put them in a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle with water, cover and heat on high for 1 minute. Let cool.

Alternative: Substitute craisins for raisins.

4 comments:

seifs1jen said...

What do think about baking with lard/shortening instead of butter?

Laurie said...

Personally, I only bake with shortening if the recipe specifically calls for it. I love it in my pie crusts and making bread in my bread machine but otherwise I really don't use it.

I did find a good response about substituting shortening for butter if you want to take a look. The response is from an executive chef and has some good information about butter, margarine and shortening.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f32/can-you-interchange-oil-lard-butter-shortening-when-baking-1870.html

Meghan said...

I made these cookies today after stumbling onto your blog while looking for a Lemon Pound Cake (I also made that today...haven't tried it yet). The cookies are FANTASTIC. Probably my favourite oatmeal cookies to date!

Thanks!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Meghan -- I'm so happy that you found my blog and that you loved these cookies. Oatmeal cookies are one of my favourite treats.

As for the lemon pound cake?? We adore the taste of fresh lemon so it's a definite fav around here. I can't wait to hear what you think of it. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails