Friday, 19 February 2010

Lime Marinated BBQ'd Salmon



I thought I'd make a nice dinner tonight for Hubby and I. The kids were quite happy to have leftover Sensational Sloppy Joes tonight instead of *gasp* having to eat BBQ'd salmon. Oh the horror!!

Hubby and I LOVE salmon. I especially love it when Hubby BBQ's it because it means less work and clean up for moi! :) I've been on a citrus kick lately and this recipe hit the spot. The tang of fresh lime juice combined with the flavour of Dijon mustard is wonderful with fresh salmon fillets. Just make sure you take into account the marinating time. Don't try to shorten it or you won't be able to taste the flavours as much. You could try using other firm fish (ie swordfish, halibut ...) if you're not a salmon lover. Is it possible NOT to love salmon?!?!

1/4 cup FRESH lime juice (juice from approximately 2-3 limes)
1 tsp lime zest
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 salmon steaks

In a small bowl, whisk together: lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, Dijon, ginger, garlic, cayenne and black peppers. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the salmon fillets, coat well with marinade. Squeeze out excess air and seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.

Preheat BBQ to medium heat and lightly oil the grill. Remove salmon from the marinade and shake off excess. Discard remaining marinade.

BBQ salmon until fish flakes easily with a fork (approximately 5-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness of fillets).

2 comments:

Mags said...

Hubby and I made a trip to Trader Joe's last weekend and stocked up on fish, mostly because of Lent, but also because we know we need to eat more fish. I just have zero knowledge of how to cook it however, so I've put this recipe in my favorites and plan to try it with either the salmon or the swordfish that we bought.l

Laurie said...

Hi Mags,
This salmon recipe as well as the Grilled Citrus Salmon are both easy to make. You could bake them in the oven if you didn't want to try it on the BBQ. Let me know how it goes. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails