Sunday, 21 February 2010

Luscious Lemon & Blueberry Muffins


I'm always on the hunt for amazing muffin recipes. Muffins are one of my favourite things to bake. I think it's because they're kind of a comfort food for me and they're also fairly quick to make. It's not like baking cookies where you do multiple batches until you wonder "WHY did I decide to bake these things?!?!".

With muffins, it's one (maybe two) batches and you're done. Freezing extra muffins is always a good idea for those Muffin Emergencies that effect some Moms. For example, when a Mom has been up late reading a great book and forgotten to make the kids lunches the night before. This forces said Mom to scrounge around the kitchen the next morning like a mad woman trying to put their lunches together!. That example is purely hypothetical and has only happened to me the odd time .... or twenty. ;)

I actually bake muffins every Sunday night so that my kids have something home baked for school during the week. Served with a yogurt, applesauce or fruit makes their first nutrition break very easy for me. :)

My kids love blueberry muffins (see my recipe titled "The BEST Blueberry Muffins You'll Ever Eat") and I love citrus .... so I went out onto the net to search for a recipe. I found this recipe on a defunct blog, made a few tweaks and voila. A really nice muffin with lots of berries and a nice lemony flavour.

I increased the amount of lemon juice because I wasn't going to waste 1/4 cup of lemony goodness! I think next time I'll dip each muffin in some lemon juice then dip them in some sugar and see how it goes.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (juice from 2 lemons)

Preheat oven to 375F. Fill muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the blueberries and fold in.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Fold liquid mixture into dry mixture just until blended (DO NOT OVERMIX!!!).

Spoon batter into muffin tin. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a tester inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins stand in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.


6 comments:

Janssen said...

Those look SO good. Is there anything better than lemon?

Laurie said...

Janssen, I have to tell you ... the 2 that I've eaten were really good. :) I don't know what it is about lemon and lime but I love their flavours. They just make dishes taste fresh. The blueberries in the picture look gigantic and make my muffins look tiny ... but they were really huge blueberries! :)

Farmer Giesen said...

They rock...do you want me to bring over any leftovers in the morning? That is, if there's any leftovers?

Laurie said...

Sure Giesen. I'm always up for some fresh baking!!

Anonymous said...

Laurie, LR here, just made these muffins, but made them lemon cranberry, got the approval of everyone, and I have already eaten two :)Thanks!

Laurie said...

LR,
Glad you liked them! Lemon and cranberry (or lemon and orange) are some of my favourite flavour combinations! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails