Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Made to be Broken


Title: Made To Be Broken
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Series: 2nd book in the Nadia Stafford series
Type: Suspense
Pages: 416
Published: February 2009

Synopsis: Nadia Stafford seems to be a typical Ontario lodge owner to those living in her small town in eastern Ontario. She brought a lot of fodder for the local gossips when they found out that she is an ex-cop who left the force in disgrace years ago. What they don't know is that Nadia (aka Dee) earns some extra money as a hitwoman for a New York mob.

When a local girl and her baby goes missing in the woods no one in Nadia's small town seems to care. They figure the girl was up to no good since she was from a 'no good' family. Everyone seems content to think that she just ran off. The missing girl brings up bad memories for Nadia about a loss she's never gotten over. With the help of her mentor, Jack, she starts to investigate the case and quickly becomes obsessed with figuring out what happened.

My Thoughts: I'm a huge Kelley Armstrong fan (loved her Women of the Underworld series). This Nadia Stafford series is good but doesn't seem to have as much oopmph as her other series. It seemed to take awhile to get going (which I'm not used to when reading a book by Armstrong. Usually you're hooked by page 10!).

I LOVE the fact that Kelley has written the book to be based in Canada and frequently mentions areas like the Kawarthas. Good to show some Canadian pride! I also was intrigued by the 'will they, won't they romance' between two of the characters and it will be interesting to see how that pans out in future books.

I hope that, in the future, Armstrong will put a bit more action in the book. I know that statement seems odd because the book deals with hired killers! The first 2/3 of the book was good but I wanted the storyline to move along at a faster pace. You kind of knew all along why the girl disappeared and I suspected the motive right away. I would have wanted more mystery and plot twists surrounding why this girl and her baby went missing in the woods.

My Rating: 3/5 (aka a good read)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails