Thursday, 11 March 2010

Awesome Banana Muffins

I know that I posted my own favourite banana bread/muffin recipe a few days ago but since then I've come across another. I had been on-line scrounging around for some new muffin recipes when I came across a blog of a fellow Canadian blogger. On her blog she has lots of great 'tried and true' recipes including her Awesome Banana Muffin recipe. With only 8 ingredients even the most novice of bakers can whip up a batch of these. They are very moist and have a wonderful banana flavour (that only gets better the next day ... if you're able to keep your husband and kids away from them long enough to see!).

3 or 4 large bananas, mashed (I used 4)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the mashed banana, sugar, egg and melted butter together. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, mix together the baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Mix wet and dry ingredients together (making sure not to mix too much or your muffins will be dense). Gently fold in chocolate chips or walnuts, if using. Pour into greased or papered muffin tins and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until tops of muffins are golden.

Yield: This recipe makes 12 good sized muffins. They also freeze really well.

2 comments:

Mommydoodle said...

Oh my goodness! This is almost exactly the recipe I have been using for years (about 20 of them actually!) My recipe calls for slightly more sugar, but the rest is exactly the same. I can't remember if I got it from my mom or my grandma. They are incredibly moist muffins and so delicious. Occasionally I'll try another banana muffin recipe, but I always come back to this one. I've yet to find another one that stands up to this one. Glad to hear you enjoyed them!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Mommydoodle, I just noticed that I haven't posted my ultimate banana bread/muffin recipe! Oh man! I'll put that on my 'recipes to post' list. My ultimate recipe uses sour cream and makes two loaves of banana bread. This recipe has a lighter, milder taste than my other recipe. Banana muffins are a fav in our house too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails