Saturday, 6 March 2010

The Best Banana Bread

I kind of have a reputation in my family for hoarding old bananas.  At one point I had forty (yup, 4-0) bananas hunkered down in my freezer just begging to be used in something delicious.  Forty is an insane number to have on hand so in order to keep my banana herd to a minimum I routinely make this banana bread/cake.  No matter which form I bake it in this is my favourite banana bread recipe -- great flavour, moist and good texture make it a go-to cake for our family. It also freezes really well so you can keep a loaf for later. 

If you choose to bake this bread in a 9x13-inch pan instead of loaves I highly recommend topping this cake with the Maple Icing recipe here on my site.  It sounds a little odd but bananas and maple are a match made in heaven. 

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking soda
Pinch salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
4 ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9x5-inch loaf pans. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Mix and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in bananas. Add flour mixture, alternately with buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Stir in nuts, if using. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each loaf comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Tip: You can also make this recipe into two 9-inch round cakes OR a 9x13-inch can -- just decrease the baking time to approximately 30 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean).

Originally from: Allrecipes.com (A-Number-1 Banana Cake)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails