Saturday, 13 March 2010

Best Basic Blondies

Lately I've been on the lookout for a new square recipe. I didn't want anything too chocolatey because I already have an amazing brownie recipe. I also didn't need a recipe that made tonnes. A nice 8x8-inch pan would be enough our family.

I found a blog called Whipped, and BOY did I find a good Blondie recipe. Originally the recipe was from a cookbook (that is now in my Wish List on amazon.ca - hint hint to my kids for Mother's Day). The book is called "Mom's Big Book of Baking " by Lauren Chattman. These are very easy to make and nice and moist t'boot. I decided to add a half cup each of semi-sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips (which, come on, make many things taste even better!). For those without a nut allergy in the family I think the pecans would add a lot of flavour and texture to this square.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8x8-inch with foil (make sure you get right in the corners well) and ensure that you have 1-inch extra hanging over the edge (makes lifting out the squares really easy). Grease bottom of foil and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix and set aside.

In another medium-sized bowl, melt butter in microwave. Add brown sugar; mix well. Beat the slightly beaten egg and vanilla into the brown sugar mixture. Mix well. Stir in flour mixture just until blended (over mixing will produce a tough square). Fold in chocolate chips and pecans (if using).

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until just set in centre. The top of the blondies will look shiny but dry. Cool completely on a wire rack. Once cool, grab the edges of the foil and lift out the Blondies and cut them on a cutting board. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days (that is, if you can keep your family away from them that long! Note Missy Moo trying to get in on the Blondie action!).


I hope you and yours enjoy these ... me and mine sure did!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you for the recipe l had a blonde recipe that l cannot find...and well l tried others but this ONE is close to the one l lost.My boyfriend thanks and his co-workers l made two batches one for home and his work.Well they are all gone at his work and half are gone here.
And btw love your blog you have me coming back to see what your cooking and reading weekly!!!

Laurie said...

I'm glad you liked the blondies. They didn't last long in our house either!
Thanks for the kind words about the blog too. I love to hear that people are enjoying it and using it. :) How did you find out about my blog, if you don't mind me asking. I'm always curious to see how people find it. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I love the blondies. They are absolutely delicious warm or cold. Love them. And I love your blog. I have been visiting your blog weekly, since being off on mat leave. My friend Erin is friends with your sister and Erin introduced me to your site. THANKS for the wonderful book suggestions and recipe ideas.

Laurie said...

Thanks. :) I'm going to have to give some thanks to Jillian for spreading the word about my blog! Maybe I'll bake her some blondies at Easter!! lol
I check my stats counter everyday to see how many people come on to my blog. Today I had almost 50 people! As long as I know people like it I'll keep it up. I forces me to keep reading (not that I need a whole lot of encouraging) and it keeps me trying new recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails