Monday, 1 March 2010

Creamy Frozen Raspberry Pie


I was perusing through my latest Taste of Home magazine (pg 16 - March/April 2010) and found this recipe that I put on my 'have to try' list. It's like a frozen yogurt pie with an Oreo crust. Very creamy, simple to make and I love that you can prep in in advance if you have company coming. By the way, the picture I used for this posting is from the Taste of Home website. Our family dug into ours before I could get a good picture of it!

This is a nice, mild dessert but for my tastes I prefer a bit more flavour. Next time I'd fold in about 1 cup of frozen fruit to give it some more punch. This is a very versatile recipe and can easily be changed depending on what juice concentrate you decide to use. Strawberries would be great with the Oreo crust ... or what about using orange juice concentrate with small chunks of mandarin oranges?!?!? Mmmm. Orange and chocolate together. Maybe I'll have to make another pie later his week to give it a try ;)

1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 can (11 1/2oz) frozen raspberry juice concentrate, thawed
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed and softened
2 tbsp icing sugar
4 cups whipped topping (I used a whole container) ** thaw it first **
Chocolate curls or grated chocolate for garnish

In a small bowl, combine Oreo crumbs and melted butter. Press onto the bottom of a greased 9-inch springform pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the concentrate, cream cheese and sugar. Cover and process until smooth; pour into a large bowl and fold in whipped topping. Pour over crust. Cover and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.

Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chocolate curls or grated chocolate. Run a knife around the edges of the pan before removing the sides. Freeze leftovers (if you have any!).

2 comments:

Janssen said...

Oh wow. That includes pretty much all my favorite things, including chocolate, raspberries, crumb crust, and cream cheese. Bookmarking these for the near future!

Laurie said...

I know, Janssen. :) And with it tasting like frozen yogurt I can trick myself into believing that's more low cal than it is so I can have a bigger slice. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails