Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Moist Raisin Bran Muffins


I have always had a fondness for a good, moist bran muffin. As a child I felt like I had to hide this hankerin' from other kids because ... what kid loves bran?!?! My Nana loved bran ... but she was old and was supposed to, right?? ;)

Well, I still love bran muffins (and I'm now no longer embarassed to say so!). There's something about a muffin that can still taste good even without any spices added. I do have some stipulations though. I do not like recipes that use Bran cereal as the base. They seem heavy and using wheat bran is just as easy ... and cheaper than using an expensive cereal. I just keep it in a large Ziploc in my freezer and use it as needed.

I also love to add some fruit, dried cranberries or raisins (aka 'nature's candy') for some extra flair. One of my favourite muffins at our local coffee shop is their Blueberry Cranberry Bran. Mmmmm. Maybe next time I'll tweak this recipe to make those!

So, I went on a search for a good, moist bran muffin ... and I found it! I just ate one (ok, maybe two) of my test batch and they are g-o-o-d! One of the reasons Cub doesn't like eating bran muffins with raisins is because sometimes the raisins are too hard or chewy. It's hard pushing 'nature's candy' when they taste and look like petrified brown things. This recipe combats that issue by simmering the raisins in a liquid mixture of brown sugar, lemon juice and water.

Raisin Mixture Ingredients
1 to 1 1/2 cups raisins (I used 1 cup)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup hot water
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice (fresh is best)
3 tbsp butter or margarine

Batter Ingredients
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cup natural wheat bran
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a medium saucepan, combine raisin mixture ingredients. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow time for it to cool down a bit.

In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, egg and salt. Add the slightly cooled raisin mixture then stir in bran.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Add it to the bran mixture but do not stir. Pour buttermilk over flour mixture and gently fold into the bran mixture until combined. Do not overmix!!!

Pour batter into paper lined muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes.

Makes approximately 18-21 medium-sized muffins.

2 comments:

mvandooren said...

How long do they bake for?

Laurie said...

Sorry! :s Must have forgotten to add the baking time. I've since corrected it (it's 20 minutes). Thanks for the heads up! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails