Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Peanuty S'More Squares



I thought that title would get your attention.

You know how some recipes you make taste good ... then there are others that knock your socks off?? Let's just say that after I made these squares this afternoon, I was barefoot. Man, these were good! My kids even finished their dinners in order to get another taste of these squares! Practically unheard of!

I originally found the basis for this recipe on another blog. That blogger found it in a cookbook by Esther Shank called "Taste of Home Holiday Get-Together 2006". The original recipe used more of a cake base but I prefer a lighter base with a simple crumb mixture since this is such a rich dessert. The recipe below has all of my tweaks added to it. If you have someone in your family who is allergic to peanuts (like we do) look at the note below for the safe substitutions.

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
6 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
4 cups miniature marshmallows

3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup peanut butter (** See Note below **)
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups Rice Krispie cereal

Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with foil.

Mix together the crumbs and the melted butter. Pour into prepared pan and pat down. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.

Set oven to broil. Sprinkle marshmallows over crumb base. Return pan to oven until marshmallows have softened (remember to watch carefully! It doesn't take long for the marshmallows to start to brown). Remove from oven. Using a knife dipped in water, smooth down the marshmallow, if it's too puffy.

In a double boiler, add chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Bring water in lower part of boiler to a boil and stir chocolate mixture constantly until it is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies. Pour over marshmallow layer. Chill squares. Do not be tempted to cut the squares until the chocolate has set or it will make a huge mess.

NOTE: Since we have a severe peanut allergy in our family I made necessary adjustments to make this recipe safe. Instead of peanut butter I used Freenut Butter (the BEST peanut butter substitute out there - the closest to peanut butter you'll get!) and I also added 2 pinches of salt.

SUBSTITUTE: The original recipe used 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs instead of the mixture of Oreo and graham. I ran out of graham cracker crumbs so I added the Oreo crumbs to make up the difference. Turned out quite well, if I do say so myself! You can't go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate!

2 comments:

Janssen said...

WOW, that looks amazing. Definitely going on my "to-make" list.

Laurie said...

They sure do taste good, Janssen (as I sit nibbling on a square). They taste a lot like Wunderbar chocolate bars. I love the fact that the Rice Krispies give them some texture and crunch and they marshmallow is nice and chewy. Hope you enjoy them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails