Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Whatcha Makin' for the holiday weekend dinner?

This weekend is gearing up to be an absolutely fabulous weekend here in Ontario, Canada. It's supposed to be in the mid-20's (around 77F) and full of sun, sun, sun! I'm looking forward to seeing my kids playing with their cousins outside whilst the adults chat and catch up.

My parents will be flying in from their long trip to Australia on Friday so they'll still be a little weary I suppose (being with their 10 grandchildren will either exhaust them or increase their energy ... we'll which happens!). Needless to say, Nanny and Papa have missed the kids!

Our family is all heading over to one of my sisters' for dinner. She's providing the bird, stuffing and potatoes and the rest of us bring everything else. I'm planning on trying out 2 new recipes on my unsuspecting family (truth be told, they now expect me to use them as guinea pigs for new recipes). I'm going to be making a Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip as well as a Lemon Cheesecake. Mmmm. If I get some thumbs up I'll post the recipes on here next week.

My other sister is bringing some homemade sugar cookies for the kids to decorate and a veggie tray (we need to keep up the appearance of healthy eating so that we can consume the desserts, you see!).

So, what is everyone cooking for this holiday weekend?? Do you have any family favourites? Traditions?

7 comments:

Mommydoodle said...

Well, I'm hosting one dinner and attending another. At my house we're having a spiral cut honey ham and scalloped potatoes (family brings the rest). I'll be baking lemon meringue and cherry pies for the dinner I'm attending (which will feature turkey and all the fixin's for main course). Of course, the chocolate will be a'plenty over the weekend too!

Laurie said...

Mmmm. Sounds good Mommydoodle. You have all of the holiday meals covered ... ham, turkey. It's nice when everyone chips in ... makes hosting not seem so daunting.

Mags said...

I feel like such an Easter wimp-out this year. We kind of had an Easter ham sandwich, cheesy potatoes dinner last weekend when we went back home to see the kids, but hubby and I have decided to take advantage of a local restaurant's Easter brunch buffet this year.

Allison said...

I'm hosting this year, and am putting a ham in the crock pot & scalloped potatoes in the oven. I also plan on making your famous oven roasted balsamic asparagus and a mandarin & almond salad. My mom's bringing the dessert, and my sister is bringing her famous home-made bread!

Laurie said...

Mags: as long as you're with family that's all that matters. Plus you save lots of time because you have no kitchen to clean! Win, win!
Allison: I'm making ham and scalloped potatoes (much to the chagrin of my kids) tonight for dinner. Haven't had any of that Canadian soul food for awhile ;) Hope you like the asparagus. The sugar coated asparagus recipe on here is really good too. Asparagus any way you cook it is amazing, right?!? :)

jenn said...

We had turkey and ham today with sweet potatoes and all the rest of the fixings. Sunday is Tim's side of the fam... no clue ;)

Laurie said...

Sounds good, Jenn. I love sweet potatoes! Hope you have an amazing weekend. With this weather how could you not?!?!? :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails