Friday, 2 April 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Krispie Squares


We invited my parents over for dinner tonight since they had just arrived home from a long vacation in Australia. With the weather being absolutely wonderful here in Ontario (25C!!) my family and I didn't want to stay home prepping for the dinner! We took the afternoon and went for a big 4.5km hike.
Once we got home we prepped the steaks, potatoes, homemade bread and the veg but I still had to think about dessert. Hmmm. My dad is a HUGE Rice Krispie Square fan. I wanted to jazz it up a bit so I found a new recipe on the Kellogg's.ca site.

These are a chocolatey variation of the traditional Rice Krispie treats. They have a very light texture (it actually doesn't stay together really well but that didn't bother my kids!) and have chunks of marshmallows every so often which is a nice surprise. The marshmallows aren't totally melted like in the traditional Rice Krispie Square. I typically do not have a big sweet tooth so this dish was a little too sweet for me ... that was not a problem for my kids! After dinner the sugar kicked in and they were running all over the place having a great old time together.
.
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup peanut butter (or Freenut Butter for those allergic to peanuts)
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
3 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal

In a large pot (I used a small soup pot) over very low heat, stir chocolate chips and peanut butter until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, if using. Add marshmallows and Rice Krispies. Mix until well coated.

Pour into a greased 9x13-inch pan and press firmly. Chill until firm, approximately 45 minutes. Cut into bars.

Variation: Add 1/2 cup chopped peanuts with the Rice Krispies.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails