Friday, 2 April 2010

Nowhere To Run

Author: Mary Jane Clark
Genre: Mystery/Suspense
Pages: 339
Published: 2003
First Line: "The silver New Jersey Transit commuter train slid to a stop at the red brick station."

Synopsis: Annabelle Murphy is the medical producer for KEY New, a highly popular daily TV news show in NYC. When a KEY news team member dies with symptoms that are very similar to those of anthrax Annabelle knows that all hell is going to break loose in NYC. When other people start to die Annabelle becomes suspicious that perhaps the deaths aren't coincidence and may actually be set up to hide a more serious issue.

My Thoughts: I had never heard of this author before but the cover looked interesting and the description on the book cover seemed promising. Apparently she's the granddaughter of Mary Higgins Clark. Hmmm. Interesting.

This was a good, whodunnit that kept me guessing. There were so many plausible suspects that I was constantly thinking that I had the murderer pegged .... until the author pulled the rug out from under me and gave me a new set of suspects. There were a LOT of characters in the book which, at the beginning, made it a little hard to keep track of who was who. Luckily the author used less common names for her characters which helped (Linus, Yelena, Jerome).

The extremely short chapters (some of them only a paragraph!!) were a little distracting and made the storyline choppy at times. I thought James Patterson was the king of short chapters (2-3 pages long) but Clark is now the reigning champ!

This book was a very easy read, nicely paced with a likeable main character. Clark brings enough of Annabelle's home life into the storyline giving a good background to the main character but not so much that it takes over the storyline. I plan to read more from this author.

My Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails