Thursday, 6 May 2010

Double Chocolate Smarties Cookies



This afternoon I had a couple of hours until I had to pick up the kids so I wandered into my kitchen and decided to whip up some cookies. I had found a recipe for Double Chocolate M & M Cookies on http://www.melskitchencafe.com/ and they sounded like something my kids would clamour for.

I had to, of course, make them peanut-free which means not using my beloved M&M's (which I horde in my secret stashes as if the apocolypse was quickly approaching). I used Smarties instead. Smarties are more colourful anyway.

I did make another change to the original recipe but it was more in the method of making them. Instead of using the microwave to melt the butter and baking chocolate I used my double boiler. I personally don't like microwaving chocolate. It takes a lot of time because you have to use low power and I'm always worried that it will burn (yes, it can burn in the microwave and burned chocolate tastes horrible).
These cookies turned out great. They're easy to make and spread quite a bit but they have a nice chewy texture and are VERY chocolatey. Next time I think I'll try this recipe with milk chocolate baking chocolate. My kids loved them and my husband really liked them too. He even asked if I could make them again. Seeing that the recipe only makes about 2 dozen large cookies .. I may be making them sooner than I thought!
.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz semi-sweet or milk chocolate baking chocolate (I used semi-sweet)
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup Smarties (or plain M&M's)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325F.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.



In a double boiler (pictured left), melt butter and chocolate. Once it is totally melted and smooth, remove from heat and allow to cool until it's room temperature (it can be warm but not hot).


In a large bowl (or the bowl of your electric stand mixer), combine the chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until combined. Gradually mix in flour mixture on low speed until combined. Fold in Smarties by hand.


Line baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them. Using a large melon baller (very large tablespoonfuls), drop cookie dough 1 1/2-inches apart on cookie sheet. Place a couple of Smarties on each ball of cookie dough.


Bake until the cookies have flattened and there are cracks on the top, approximately 13-14 minutes. The cookies will still be fairly soft. Let cookies sit for 2-3 minutes on cookie sheet before removing them to a wire rack to completely cool.


Store in an air-tight container for up to a couple of days, freeze between sheets of waxed paper or feed to the children in your kitchen who have been constantly asking "Can we have a cookie NOW??".
Tip: If you use a smaller melon baller cook for less time. I'd start with 10 minutes, see how they look and go from there.


Linked to:


2 comments:

jen said...

so I doubled the recipe and these cookies still only lasted less than 48 hrs (doesn't help that my teenage son and his friends were over after school!)They went over extremely well and will be making them again today!

Laurie said...

Jen -- I'm glad that the neighbourhood teens like these ;) They're like a nice, chewy brownie cookie, eh? Ours didn't last long either. I do like the fact that you can double this recipe easily and that the original recipe doesn't make a tonne if you only need a couple of dozen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails