Monday, 10 May 2010

Just One Look

I hope all the Moms out there had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday and were spoiled rotten by their offspring! I spent the afternoon at my parents' cottage where my husband and my dad made my mom and I (and my 3 kids) a wonderful "Fancy Filet". Mmmm. Beef tenderloin slathered in butter then roasted with red wine and mushrooms. Delicious! Not heart healthy but it's Mother's Day! I was also surprised with 6 new Wilton baking tins and a pretty potted flower that Missy Moo painted for me at school. Isn't it nice to be the centre of attention for at least one day per year?!?

This weekend I finished up "Just One Look" by Harlan Coben. Here's what I thought ...






Author: Harlan Coben

Genre: Suspense

Pages: 370

First Line: "Scott Duncan sat across from the killer."

Synopsis: When Grace Lawson accidentally gets someone else's picture mixed in with her own photos she had developed she didn't think much of it. There are 5 people in the picture and one looks a little like her husband, Jack so she shows it to him. Jack denies that he's the man in the picture but later that night he leaves the house without an explanation.

Grace struggles to find her husband while still keeping her children in the dark about where their father is. She soon realizes that there are other people who are also looking for Jack and the picture - including a very dangerous murdurer. When friends and family can't help Grace find Jack she turns to some dangerous people from her past for help.

My Thoughts: I enjoyed this book for it's suspense but found, at times, that it was hard to keep the characters straight. There were so many back stories to keep up on it felt a little dizzing at times.

Without getting into too much detail, I didn't think that the reasons for the murders was a great reason for all the chaos that followed. It just seemed too implausible and didn't seem like a good enough reason to me. I think I was expecting a more shocking reason, I guess.

Over all, the twists and turns were good, the characters were 'meh' and the suspense was great. I would definitely recommend others to check out Coben's other works which, in my humble opinion, are better than this book. Still, Coben's 'ok' books are still good, easy reads.

My Rating: 3.5 stars


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails