Sunday, 2 May 2010

Weekly Book Poll (May 2)

This has been a fairly productive reading week for me. I finished up "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and, if you've read my review, I LOVED it. Highly recommend it. I've been thinking about the characters ever since I finished the book (one of the ways I know a book was a great read).

Then I started to read "Killer Heat" by Linda Silverstein and stopped after about 150 pages. It just didn't grip me.

Now I'm reading "Secret of the Sirens" by Julia Golding. It's a Young Adult novel that has a fantasy basis to it. A young girl named Connie learns she has special powers to speak to animals. She also learns that mythical creatures that she's read about in school actually exist and have been protected by a secret society to keep them hidden from humans. When an evil force threatens to gather the mythical creatures together to destroy all humans Connie and the Society have to work together to stop them. So far it feels a lot like the first Percy Jackson book (which I liked). "Cub" wants to read it after me since it sounds like it's right down his alley. Have I mentioned before how cool it is to share books with my kids!?!?

Next up? Maybe "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld or "Dirty Blonde" by Lisa Scottoline or "Just One Look" by Harlan Coben. Or "Bundle of Trouble" by Diana Orgain (mystery/chick lit). That's just the books that I have out from the library ... not the new stack of books I just bought at the book sale!

So, what have you all been reading this past week? What did you think of it?

6 comments:

Aleisha said...

I read the Summoning, the Awakening and finally the Reckoning! Yahoo! Gotta say though, really diappointed with the ending. she has just left herself open for another trilogy with other characters that are mentioned in the previous 3 books. It certainly didn't wrap everything up neatly like I have come to expect with a trilogy. I just bought the book "Gone" from Chapters, by Michael Grant. It is about all the adults have vanished from the planet and only kids are left. Then they start running out of food. Sounded creepy and cool all at the same time, Stephen King recommended it. Not that I go for his recommendations, but at least someone with writing ability has read and liked it.

Laurie said...

"Gone" sounds like a futuristic "Lord of the Flies". ;) I think I've seen that book at Chapters actually.
As for trilogies ... ya, I prefer everything nicely wrapped up. Don't leave me hanging! I still have to read the last book but probably need to re-read the first two b/c I can't remember what happened. Too many YA book storylines floating around in my cranium.
I finished "Secret of the Sirens" and now I'm on to a Harlan Coben book called "Just One Look". If you're in the mood for a really good suspense writer Coben fits the bill. I've read 2 other books of his and enjoyed them.

Aleisha said...

I just totally disappointed myself. Got all excited to start this book and find out it's the second in a series, not the first. Gone by Michael Grant is the first and I bought Hunger, not Gone. Guess, I'll be buying you tomorrow. I'll look those others up and see if I can borrow them from the library, I will be broke if I read all your recommendations! lol

Laurie said...

Aleisha,
I'm a HUGE library user (I'm talking having 40 things out at TWO library systems at one time). That's for my 3 kids and I, not just myself.
I'd definitely try to borrow the books if you can. I hate it when I buy a book then don't like it. I'm often surprised at how quickly certain books come in at the library for me ("The Guernsey Potato .. Society" has been the longest wait for me ... literally months!). I may just go out and buy it so I can see what all the fuss is. :)

Aleisha said...

If you lived in my home town, I would drive it over to you right now, it is awesome, you will love it. I was like you, not my thing all in letters, what's the fuss. Bought it at Costco for like 8 bucks sat on my shelf forever, read it, LOVED it. Honestly a really great book and the characters stayed with me for days. I was so sad to learn the author died because I totally wanted her to write another book along the same lines, it was really great.

Laurie said...

"Guernsey" has been at the top of my 'want to read' list for awhile. When I heard it was written in letters to people it kind of took some of the fun out of reading it ... but apparently it's still an amazing read regardless of the style of writing. I think I'll just go out and buy it. I love it when the characters stick with you.
Have you read any books by Canadian author Susanna Kearsley? I loved "The Winter Sea"!

Related Posts with Thumbnails