Tuesday, 1 June 2010

Weekly Reading Poll

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. My family had a relaxing but full weekend. We went out for dinner, swam at my parents' pool, visited the cottage and went sea-dooing again (racing across the lake at 80km/hour with my hubby was quite fun!). I soooo need to get my boating licence soon! My wonderful husband also finished making my vegetable/herb garden (the first one I've had in about 12 years!) so it's all planted now.

As for the books I've read? I finished "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Sea of Monsters" (by Rick Riordan). What a fun read. I really enjoyed it. I rarely read all of the books in a series at one time so I'm going to read a few books before diving into the 3rd book in the series. 8 year old "Karate Guy" is hot on my heels reading these books so I'll let him read the 3rd book before me. The only thing that worries me is that "Karate Guy" gets excited about the books he reads and wants to 'give clues' about what happens. I'm not the kind of person who likes to skip to the end and know what happens before I read it. We'll see how that goes. You can't get down on a guy for getting excited about a plot, right!?

I also read "Murder Melts in Your Mouth", the 7th book in the Blackbird Sisters mystery series by Nancy Martin. These are a light-hearted mystery with a gaggle of quirky characters. A good read.

Now I'm reading "Cleopatra's Daughter" by one of my favourite historical fiction authors, Michelle Moran. If you haven't read one of her books, pick one up. "Nefertiti" and "The Heretic Queen" are great reads (read "Nefertiti" first). I love the fact that Moran doesn't focus on English or Scottish historical fiction like so many authors. It's great diving into a totally different area and era.

Next up? I have "Oprah" by Kitty Kelly. Ya, I know. I was curious about what all the hype was about. I have an inordinate amount of my cranium filled with useless entertainment trivia so I thought I'd give it a boost and see what everyone's talking about when it comes to Miss O. If only I could use my secret power for the greater good. "I'll take 'Useless Entertainment Trivia that's Rotting my Brain' for $1000, Alex."

What are you all reading? Would you recommend it? What's up next?

6 comments:

Beth said...

Finished "The Incident Report" by Martha Baillie. It was just OK. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except a public library worker. I really only enjoyed the parts that referred to the protagonist's job at the Toronto Public Library. (It actually referred to a gentleman who is known to frequent my little library!)

About to start "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. It's the ONLY book I ever read for English class and actually enjoyed. I figured I would try it again and see if I still enjoy it.

Laurie said...

Beth,
For me, I didn't see what all they big to-do was about "To Kill a Mockingbird". I found it a slow read for me personally.
In high school I enjoyed "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger the most out of the books we read. The book "1984" was painful. Argh!

Beth said...

Oooh. I hated Catcher in the Rye. And 1984. And Surfacing. And The Wars. But the worst book of all was Clockwork Orange. Nasty. Honestly, High School English might have ruined reading for me if I hadn't already discovered my love for all things books.

Laurie said...

I totally forgot about Clockwork Orange. Ew. Didn't like that one either. Apparently we didn't read the same books in Gr 12 and 13 once I moved. I haven't heard of some of the books you mentioned ("Surfacing", "The Wars"?).

Aleisha said...

I loved 1984, I thought it was a great book and to kill a mockingbird was great too. Hmmm, makes me sad that you didn't like them. I just finished the forgotten garden and I LOVED it. You know, LOVED it. I have already lent it to my mom (that and the help). I am currently re-reading the hunger games so that I am ready for the 3rd and final book coming out in august. can't wait!

Laurie said...

Aleisha -- I honestly think that 'when' you read a book is a big factor in whether or not you like a book. When I read 1984 it was back in high school and it just wasn't my type of book. I'd like to watch the "To Kill a Mockingbird" DVD and see what I think about it.
I'm glad you loved "The Forgotten Garden" and "The Help"!! Great reads!

Related Posts with Thumbnails