Wednesday, 18 August 2010

Weekly Reading Poll

This past week has been a fairly good reading week for me ... finally! That's saying something considering that Brad has been on holidays for some of that week and we've been taking the kids to various places to get in all our summer fun. From swimming in HUGE waves in Lake Erie (amazing time, I only wish I would have reapplied my sunscreen. Ouch!) to visiting the CN Tower. Lots of fun with the family and perfect weather.

I spent the majority of the week reading a great historical fiction book based in Italy. It was a good read but I'm unable to post my review on it just yet. It has yet to be published but will be out in a few weeks. Very cool to read a book that isn't out on store shelves yet!

Next I read "Rivals for the Crown" by Kathleen Givens. I had bought the ebook on my iPhone and actually enjoyed reading it on my wee screen. I would have preferred a larger screen but I loved that I could easily read in bed in the dark and since I always have my phone with me I was able to read when I had some small downtimes (standing in line at the CN Tower).

Now I'm reading "Mistress of the Game" by Tilly Bagshawe (in Sidney Sheldon's style). It's the sequel to Sheldon's "Master of the Game". It's a very easy read full of deception and deceit.

Next up? I'll probably read the second book in the Body Movers series. I know I said I was going to read it this week but the soap opera angst of Mistress of the Game and Givens' men in kilts with Scottish accents won out ... as they always do. After that I have "Water for Elephants" too. Anyone read that one yet?

So what are you all reading? Last week I had a wonderful response to the Weekly Reading Poll. I loved it!!! Let's keep that momentum up this week too!!

11 comments:

Sharilyn said...

I am two-thirds of the way through "An Impartial Witness" by Charles Todd. It's a mystery with a female protagonist who is a WWWI battlefield nurse. It's not on sale until August 31, and yes, I do feel pretty smug about having an advance copy.

Coffeetime said...

I am reading the latest Daisy Dalrymple mystery.Almost done and then l am on to making sauce from my tomato's and canning it for the winter.I have way to many this year and my neighbours are begging me no more lol.

Laurie said...

Sharilyn - love the advanced copy thang. I have to agree that it does feel pretty good reading a book that only a few have had the chance to read. I'm hoping to get my hands on more advance copies. Btw, "An Impartial Witness" sounds like an interesing premise. I'll watch for it.

Coffeetime, welcome! The name Daisy Dalrymple sounds so familiar. I love mysteries and especially adore mystery series. I'll definitely look into that one.

As for tomatoes?? Oh ya. I have a TONNE of small tomatoes (I can't get to the tag at the base of the plant because the plant is a monster - think "Little Shop of Horrors"!) and I have at least 20+ large tomatoes coming soon. I'll have to think of ways to use them up. I love tomatoes but, sadly, I'm the only person in our house who does. I'm thinking pizza/spaghetti sauce is a great way to make everyone happy. :)

Aleisha said...

I am reading Captivate right now and then moving on to Eat, Pray, Love before I go and see the movie. I am currently on pins and needles waiting for the third installment of the Hunger Games! Cannot wait!

Laurie said...

I've heard little snippets about "Eat, Pray, Love" (most likely because of the Julia Roberts movie) so I only have an inkling about what it's all about. Let me know how you like it.

Beth said...

Finished the new Jennifer Weiner book which was a great read. I'd definitely recommend it. Now I'm reading The Girl Who Played With Fire and I'm loving it! Next will be either Thin, Rich, Pretty by Elizabeth Harbison or the new Evanovich book.

Coffeetime said...

I read the new Janet Evanovich this weekend in three hours.Lot's of Ranger really liked this one more than her last one.Also read another mystery called A Cold Mouring.I just got Rivals For The Crown from the library so l will be starting it today.

Laurie said...

Beth, I also have "Thin, Rich, Pretty" by Beth Harbison on my 'to read' pile (thanks to my Fairy Bookmother's book donation to moi!). I'm on the libary's wait list for "Sizzlin' 16" and I've heard mixed reviews on it but I'm still itching to read it. Glad to hear that the new Jennifer Weiner book is a good one b/c I didn't particularly love "Best Friends Forever".

Laurie said...

Coffeetime,
Glad to hear the new Evanovich is a good read. From what I remember I didn't like 14 but thought 15 was better. Hopefully she's on an upswing. With more Ranger in it, how can she possibly go wrong? Now the real question is WHO will play Ranger in the upcoming movie? Is there such a man on the planet? ;)

Have you read "On a Highland Shore"? You may want to read it before jumping into "Rivals for the Crown". I can't remember if you had mentioned reading it already.

Beth said...

I am a Ranger girl and am VERY happy to hear that the new book focusses more on him than boring Morelli. But I am growing weary of the whole "which man should I pick" storyline. Pick one already!!! I'm packing the book with me to read on the plane ride to Vancouver.

In terms of the movie, I'm not impressed with the casting for Stephanie's role (Katherine Heigl? Seriously?). That said, I think Sherri Shepherd is actually a good fit for Lula. Now if only they would cast Betty White as Grandma Mazur. Then I might actually consider watching the movie on dvd.

Laurie said...

Beth -- I too am in the Team Ranger camp! Morelli is great but c'mon!! Ranger is ... Ranger. Nuff said. ;)

Ya, the whole Plum movie is scaring me. I'm hoping they won't ruin it. I'll still watch it ... it just depends on whether I see it in the theatre or on DVD.

Related Posts with Thumbnails