Wednesday, 4 May 2011

One of those days ....

You ever have 'one of those days'? Up until a certain point things are going well then all of a sudden something happens to change it all. That was my day today. It started off well -- the sun was out, the kids went off to school without any rushing around/craziness, I had a wonderful tea, chat and thrifting expedition with one of my favourite gals .... then something happened to put a wrench in my good day. I hate that!!

As I was making myself a chicken quesadilla for lunch (complete with homemade guacamole) I had a mishap of sorts. I was chopping up some green onion when the knife slipped and it sliced into my fine self. My lovely index finger to be exact. I wasn't looking to increase my protein in my quesadilla with a piece of digit but perhaps fate had a different idea.

It was one of those moments when you see what you did but can't quite wrap your brain around it. A split second later it hit me and I put my finger under cold water then wrapped it in a cloth and held it above my head (not sure if that's proper procedure but that's what I did). In the meantime my brain caught up and started thinking about what I did and what I saw (the side of my fingernail sliced and bleeding) and I went full-out into my fraidy-cat, yellow-bellied wimp mode. It wasn't pretty and included a lot of 'oh crap' and 'no, no, no, NO!'.

You may think that getting squeemish over a bit of blood and a sliced nail makes me a total wuss .... and you'd be right! I may come from 3 generations of registered nurses (my great grandmother, my nana and my mom) but the medical 'don't mind seeing blood and needles' legacy ended with yours truly. I'm a total wuss and get lightheaded just thinking of blood and needles so when I took a gander at my bleeding finger with the sliced nail I got light-headed and felt the blood drain from my head.

Picture it if you will. There I was with my finger in the air and my head towards my knees. Ahhh, my medical matriarchs would be so proud! I did manage to call Brad (out of an important business meeting -- eeks!) and he came home to A) make sure I hadn't passed out and conked my noggin' (I've fainted before with this stuff) and B)to bandage me up and see if I needed to go to the ER for stitches. No stitches needed just some bandages on my pride.

Ahhh well. I took the night off from cooking and got to gross out my kids with my finger so it wasn't a total waste of a day. It could have been much worse and I'm thankful that I wasn't hurt more but I'm pretty sure any hope of being a world famous hand model can never be a reality for yours truly. I won't be able to compete for Canada's Next Top Hand Model *sigh*.

For those who have a penchant for all things gross (and because I had time to kill this afternoon) I've included a picture because if I can gross out more than just my kids it would make my day better!





AKA "The Wussy Blogger"

4 comments:

Jacqui said...

You are lucky it is still attached! It heals faster this way. I have done this at least twice, and the chunk was sliced right off! Yikes!
Good luck with the healing!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks Jacqui! I don't often cut myself because I keep my knives sharp (which is supposed to make them more accurate) so it came as a bit of a shock. It does feel better now (typing probably isn't the best for it but a girl's gotta blog!). Live and learn!! :)

Jen said...

I am ALWAYS nicking myself in the kitchen, and I too am totally grossed out by blood. Hope your finger feels better soon!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks, Jen. Usually I'm pretty good about keeping my fingers and other body parts from getting nicked in the kitchen. Yesterday was a bit of a shock! I'm on the mend (apparently it hasn't effected my ability to blog!!). :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails