Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Along Came a Demon



Author: Linda Welch
Type: Kindle ebook
First Published:
First Line: "There's a naked woman in the garden," Jack said."

Synopsis: Tiff isn't your average female investigator. Ever since she was the victim of a violent act she's been able to see and communicate with the ghosts of people who have died violently. Not only does she deal with ghosts at her job as an investigator for the local police force in Clarion, Utah but she even lives with two ghosts.

One night Tiff sees a female ghost hanging out in her backyard. Since most ghosts hang around the place where they were killed Tiff goes out to investigate to see if she can help the woman move on. Tiff learns that the ghost had a young son who has gone missing and the police don't even know he exists. Tiff vows to find him all the while trying to elude two demons who are out to kill her.

My Thoughts: If you've been following my blog you know that I enjoy a good supernatural read. I adore Kelley Armstrong, J.K Rowling ... the list goes on. Lately I've been devouring Terri Reid's "Mary O'Reilly" series as fast as she can write them. Go Terri go!!

So, when I read the description of this kindle ebook I thought it would be right up my alley. I admit that there are a LOT of similarities with Reid's series but unfortunately this book lacked the energy, comedic relief and heart that Reid brings to her series. With so many similarities such main characters who talk to ghosts and use their abilities to help law enforcement, who acquired their abilities after a violent act etc it's hard not to compare. Welch gives the reader a different take on supernatural with a dose of urban fantasy but it just wasn't for me. I didn't like the demon aspect and didn't think falling for a demon was anywhere near romantic in my book.

Unfortunately the story didn't grab me either. It had very choppy writing which was confusing and distracting and yet it was also verbose when dealing with the descriptions of rooms and other extraneous things that weren't relevant to the story. That kind of confusion and extra detail just bogged down the momentum of the storyline. I kept reading hoping that I'd get a clearer picture of what was happening as I read on or that there'd be a big 'ta-da' moment but that never happened.

My main issue with this book is that I felt like I was reading the second or third book in a series. So many things seemed to not be explained clearly -- her past, the sudden inclusion of demons, Tiff's features (they weren't mentioned until later -- she has white blonde hair?? Didn't fit with what I had already pictured). There was also no clear picture of the violent act that caused her ability, why demons suddenly hunted Tiff and what demons are exactly etc. I had to go online to double check that this was indeed the first book. I don't like the feeling of coming in late in the conversation.

So, I'm going against the grain with this review. There were a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews for this book online which is why I bought it for my kindle. So, what am I missing here? I was looking forward to some action, romance and her roommates being used as comic relief but they were more annoying than anything.

For now I think I'll stick with Terri Reid and her supernatural series. Check back soon because I just finished reading the 5th book in that series and I'll be reviewing it soon!!

My Rating: 2.5/5 stars

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails