Monday, 19 September 2011

My Foray into the Wild Wild World of Meal Planning

Since I'm back to work I'm feeling the need to be more proactive when it comes to meal planning. Usually I'm a carefree, by-the-seat-of-my-stylish-yoga-pants kinda cook waiting to see what flavours I want to eat for supper that day. It was one of the perks of being a stay-at-home mom for so many years. I had total control over the daily supper options and could decide on a whim what to make for supper that day.

Now that I work four days/week I cannot cook on a whim if I want to eat well. And I do want to eat well! I also still have a sense of culinary adventure ... it just has to be a planned adventure. Does that make it any less adventurous?!? I'm pretty sure Indiana Jones planned some of his adventures out! ;) Ok, I'm totally a Type A 'gotta-plan-everything-out-within-an-inch-of-its-life' anal kind of person (yet still with a sense of culinary adventure!). That's my title and I'm stickin' to it! As a HUGE lover of all things to do with organizing/labelling/scheduling I'm going to give this a shot.

My current goal is to post my meal plan Sunday night to share with all of you. If I've already made the recipe before I'll post the link so you can easily find it. Sound good?

Here's to more organization in the kitchen! I'm going to sincerely and whole-heartedly try to plan out my suppers. {Note: I say this before all of my favourite shows start up this fall. If I go back to my reckless anti-meal planning ways I will blame Vampire Diaries, Amazing Race, Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory. Ok, I won't blame Big Bang because I cannot, in good conscience, blame my beloved Sheldon.}



Here is what I have planned for this week:

Tuesday -- Missy Moo's choice (it's her 8th birthday!!)
** Chicken, Goat Cheese & Caramelized Onion Quesadillas with homemade guacamole and loads of sour cream! Granted the birthday girl and her brothers will be opting for a simpler quesadilla.

Wednesday
Spaghetti with Mega Meat Sauce
Caesar Salad
Homemade bread

Thursday
Meatball Sub Casserole
Salad

Friday -- Girl's Choice!!
** Missy Moo and I have a mom & daughter-only date and dinner out!!

Do you meal plan?? If so, what do you have planned for this week??

6 comments:

Dee at Deelicious Sweets said...

I am a huge meal planner. Otherwise we end up eating out all of the time and we can't have that! I need to know what's ahead of me and what I need to get at the grocery store and be prepared. Good luck :)

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks Dee! So far, so good. OK, I'm only 1 day in but it's going well. :) I'm a huge Type A planner but for some reason meal planning is something that I've never really done whole heartedly.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I'm a little too A-type to fly by the seat of my pants! Plus the grocery store is my absolute favorite place to spend money. I have to stock up and get as much as possible in one trip or the next time I stop for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread, I get lured into the cheese counter and $50 later I leave with my milk and bread, and Gouda, and...

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

I know what you mean. Those little trips to 'just pick up ...' tends to cost a whole lot more. I to in full of good intentions ... and then fall victim to the olive bar, goat cheese ... and perhaps the chips and ice cream sections too. Perhaps. ;)

Mary said...

Wishing you the best of luck with all the changes! (We call this time of year birthday season too. ha ha) Having meal plans will definitely help so much. I LOVE knowing in advance what is prepped and in the house ready to go!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks Mary! I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying meal planning. It's not set in stone (we changed it up Thursday night) but otherwise I'm finding that a plan does help keep my stress levels down. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails