Sunday, 4 September 2011

Pumpkin n' Ice Cream Pie



With the approach of fall I've been hankering for dishes using pumpkin, apples and cinnamon!! I'm so done with summer and it's heat and humidity! Bah humbug! Bring on the crisp mornings, the crunchy leaves, sweater weather, the thick stews and soups! Can you tell Fall is my hands down favourite season?

I just had to appease my craving for all things fall but with the heat wave we had here in my part of Ontario last week there was no way I was turning on my oven to bake a cake or cookies! So I went on the search for a fall-esque dessert that didn't heat up my kitchen.

Since apple season isn't quite here yet I opted for a dessert that featured pumpkin (which happens to be the main ingredient of my favourite dessert pie!). That got me thinking about a summery pumpkin pie ... and voila! Pumpkin meet ice cream. Ice cream meet cinnamon and her bud, nutmeg. And a new set of BFFs were born!

I gathered all of the ingredients I'd need and even had a willing helper, Boy 1 (my 11 year old) who is also a pumpkin pie addict from way back. Armed with a Ziploc and a rolling pin he was given the job of crushing the gingersnap cookies. I used a gingersnap made by Dare and Chapman's ice cream which are both made in peanut-free facilities. I wanted to give a nice shout out to Dare and Chapmans for providing safe and delicious options for people who have peanut allergies. You both make my son's life a little bit sweeter (and safer)!

Ok, my peanut-free love fest is now over. We now return you to our regularly scheduled recipe. This pie went over really well with my family which means that my kids took a look at the pie then promptly ate their suppers so they could have a taste of this pie! Oh ya, it was mighty tasty! It's a mild tasting chilly, creamy pumpkin pie .... and the gingersnap crust rocks!!

So go gather your ingredients up!! Go on! As you can see by the following picture I'm very a wee bit anal. Yes, I do label my spice jars that are already labelled but I have a good excuse! My spices are on a tiered rack so I need to be able to see the names without taking them down .... and I love my label maker. Don't judge.

Enjoy this summery/fallish treat!



Pumpkin n' Ice Cream Pie
Yield: 8-12 servings

Gingersnap Crust
1 1/2 cups (approx. 1/2 of a 350g box) Dare's 'Simple Pleasures' Spice Snaps (or other gingersnap cookies), crushed
5 tbsp butter, melted

Pumpkin Ice Cream Filling
4 cups vanilla ice cream
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
Garnish -- whipped cream, gingersnap cookies

Make crust:
Preheat oven to 350F.

Place gingersnap cookies into a large Ziploc bag. Close it and using a rolling pin crush the cookies into crumbs. Crush enough cookies to make 1 1/2 cups of crumbs.

In a medium bowl, combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Mix well. Pour into a 9-inch pie shell and press it down around the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Bake crust for 5 minutes and cool completely.

Make Filling:
Once crust has cooled, remove ice cream from freezer and allow it to sit on the counter for 15 minutes to soften. Scoop 4 cups of ice cream into a large bowl and mix well with a spoon to remove chunks. Add white sugar, spices and pumpkin. Mix well until well combined. Pour ice cream mixture into cooled pie crust. Cover loosely with foil and freeze for several hours or overnight.

Before serving allow pie to sit on counter for 10 minutes to make cutting easier. Garnish with whipped cream or extra spice cookies.

2 comments:

Dzoli said...

I am sur ethe pie tatses great.I love pumpkin pie too .Will try your recipe as i make it slightly different;)

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks Dzoli! I hope you enjoy it. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails