Wednesday, 7 September 2011

'Whatcha Reading?' Wednesday!!



The kids are back in school!! Can I hear a 'whoot whoot'?!? Don't get me wrong I loved having my little darlings with me for 2+ months but I think over the past week or so we've all been needing more of a schedule. I know that I've been craving time to get things organized (I totally nest in the early fall!!). I'm also looking forward to trying new recipes and even trying my hand at some DIY crafty thangs!

This past week I read "The Kitchen Daughter" by Jael McHenry. It's a story that revolves around a young woman who has Asperger's Syndrome. It has a touch of magic and has truly vivid descriptions of food and cooking. Enough to make my mouth water! It even has several recipes included. I'll be reviewing that book soon.

I'm currently reading "The Tea Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly. I'm only 40 pages into this 550+ book but so far, so good. Filled with lost love, murder, and revenge the story focuses on the life of Fiona Finnegan in the late 1800's and spans two continents. It kind of feels like the love child of a Josephine Cox book and "Master of the Game" by Sydney Sheldon.

Next? I need to read more on my kindle so I'll have to see what I have on there when the time comes.

What are you all reading? Have you heard of any new authors?? Share, share, share and hopefully we can all find new reads!!

7 comments:

Marina said...

I am reading a book from Mary Higgins Clark.. I love her books.

April from Comox, BC said...

Earlier in the week I finally finished the fourth book in the Game of Thrones series. It was good...I think maybe not as good as the first three, but still enjoyable. I'm going to take a break from that series for a bit I think and stick with some lighter fare. I just finished Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts last night. Great summer read! Full of intrigue, romance, mystery, and a lot of interesting stuff about forest fire fighting. I can't say that I didn't know "whodunnit" from pretty early on, but it was still enjoyable. I just started reading Loose Ends A Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery. I'm only on Chapter 3, but so far so good.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Marina, I've only read one book by Mary Higgins Clark but I remember enjoying it.

April -- I have got to pick up Game of Thrones!!! Too many books, so little time. ;) I think I'll have to move it up my 'gotta read' list.

TheBookGirl said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed The Kitchen Daughter; I too liked it very much.

My mother devoured The Tea Rose series -- she just finished the last one in August and was so sorry to see the trilogy end.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

BookGirl -- The Kitchen Daughter was definitely an interesting read and has made me understand a lot more about Asperger's and the kids we know who have this syndrome. I've been thinking about this book off and on for days!

The Tea Rose series is definitely one of those big epic reads that are easy to read yet still keep you wanting to read more.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

All right, I know it's already Friday, but I'm working on Blood, Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton which I love!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Hey Jen,
No worries if it's Friday or Tuesday when you share your "Whatcha Reading?" Wednesdays :) I'll check out Hamilton's books. I've never heard of her before.

Related Posts with Thumbnails