Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Darkness Exposed (5th book in the Mary O'Reilly series)

Author: Terri Reid
Genre: Supernatural
Type: Ebook (Kindle)
Series: 5th book in the Mary O'Reilly paranormal series
Series Order: Loose Ends, Good Tidings, Never Forgotten, Final Call (READ IN ORDER)
First Published: September 2011
First Line: "Jeannine Alden wiped the counter in the kitchen for the fourth time."

Synopsis: After reading the first four books in the series readers finally get to learn what happened to Bradley's wife when she mysteriously and suddenly disappeared 8 years ago. With the help of her friends Rosie, Stanley, Ian as well as Fireman Mike the ghost, Mary helps Jeannine figure out what happened to her so many years ago in the hopes that Jeannine will finally be able to move on.

My Thoughts: If you've been reading my blog for the past 6 months you know that I adore the Mary O'Reilly series. It's a great combination of paranormal, romance (sans fromage), humour and suspense. Over the past 4 books Ms Reid has kept her readers on pins and needles wanting and needing to know what happened to Police Chief Bradley Alden's wife. This is the book where all is revealed!

This is a wonderfully engaging and easy read where the reader gets a good dose of suspense and also gets to see some of our favourite characters (my favs are Fireman Mike the ghost as well as the burly Scot, Ian and his delicious brogue). I will admit that I found Rosie and Stanley (the octogenarians) a little much this time around. I think they were meant to lighten the somewhat dark storyline but I found them too cutsie and distracting.

Without giving anything away, one of my favourite parts in the book consisted of a hilarious "Three's Company" type misunderstanding between Mary and Bradley. Let's just say it had me giggling to myself. While this book does have some giggles it also has some very creepy parts that were dark and disturbing. Not in a gratuitous way, they fit within the storyline, but creepy nonetheless.

Bradley and Mary's relationship continues in this book but I was really hoping for some kind of a love triangle. With the addition of Ian I was truly hoping that he'd add some spice to the romantic portion of the series. Maybe in future books???

I only have one beef with this book simply because while reading it I just couldn't imagine the scene happening in real life. In the scene the culprit puts his head down on a woman's stomach. At the same time the woman picks up a cinder block, unbeknownst to the man, and swings it at the man and hits him. Not sure how realistically a person can quietly and easily pick up a cinderblock while sitting down with a man's head on her stomach. See, it was but a wee beef, a miniscule moo.

Overall, this is a good continuation of one of my favourite series. I look forward to seeing where the on-going storylines go from here.

My Rating: 4/5 stars

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails