Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Pumpkin Pie Dip

Is there a real malady called a Thanksgiving Weekend Hangover? I'm not talking about imbibing too much alcohol with family and friends over the holiday weekend. I'm referring to the behaviour of sucking back too much turkey, mashed potatoes, casseroles, homemade bread and desserts PLUS being utterly exhausted by all the family time (which was amazing and wonderful but still utterly exhausting)? If there isn't such a term then there ought to be because I have it b-a-d.

I'm such a wimp, I know! A few days schnorfing down all manner of goodies and fowl, time with my family and a hike and it totally kicked my butt! Speaking of goodies (smooth segue Laurie. So smooth), one of my all-time favourite desserts is pumpkin pie. All those spices, the smooth texture and homemade pie crust?? Perfection! But my nephew's health is more important than any pie and due to his egg allergy a traditional pumpkin pie wasn't in the cards. Without eggs to hold the filling together the pumpkin pie would just be a big sloppy mess. No worries! I'm enough of a pumpkin pie addict that I scoured the net to find a safe substitute and found this pumpkin dip by 'Not Rachael Ray'. I have found a new pumpkin bliss and her name is pumpkin DIP!

Picture it if you will -- the flavour of pumpkin pie, the richness of cream cheese ..... and you get to eat it with apples and COOKIES!! Plus it's really, really tasty. So good in fact that my sister, her husband and I were trying to figure out other ways to get this dip in our bellies! We came up all sorts of ideas from drizzling it over pancakes and vanilla ice cream, making it into an ice cream cake to just eating it by spooning it directly into our mouths. So many options!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Note to my family who may read this blog post -- you may have noticed that I took my pumpkin dip leftovers home. All I can say is that I plead a severe case of Pumpkin Addiction. I couldn't leave without it! But I will use those leftovers to test out some new uses for this truly addicting dip! :)

Pumpkin Pie Dip
Inspired by: http://www.notrachaelray.com/2011/10/07/pumpkin-pie-dip-naughty-and-nice/



8oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (see recipe below)
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups icing sugar, SIFTED
2 tbsp brown sugar
Garnish -- nutmeg (optional)
Serve with -- apple slices, graham crackers, gingersnap cookies, your fingers, spoonfuls dropping into your mouth

Using an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla.

Add icing sugar, a half cup at a time, and blend until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl if necessary. Add in brown sugar and stir.

Store in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Serve chilled with slices of apple, pear, animal crackers, graham crackers or gingersnaps.

Pumpkin Pie Spice
Source: Allrecipes.com (Pumpkin Pie Spice II)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Combine above ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container.

6 comments:

Dee at Deelicious Sweets said...

Nice substitute! I find I rather like the challenge to come up with different foods to substitute for the ones we are used to. Especially when they turn out better than the original :)

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

I have a very similar recipe that I got from my friend Denise - she uses it to dunk ginger cookies in. Yum! It's like heaven in a dipping cup... Hope you recover from your weekend of family and indulgence soon!

TheBookGirl said...

Love the "pumpkin addiction" lol.

This dip looks yummy!

Erin @ Cooking on Whim said...

Sounds delicious-- I will be making this for a get together in the near future!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

I'm so glad that I'm among pumpkin lovers!! Yes, this dish will definitely be put in my Thanksgiving repertoire from now on! I have one more pumpkin recipe coming (delicious pumpkin spice muffins) that I'll be posting soon. Then I think I'll be pumpkin'd out until next Fall! :)

Kathryn Hodgdon said...

Lovely article - one of the best things I've recently read, and by far the most useful. Cool to read such a well-considered article! By the way, if anyone is facing a problem of merging PDF files, I've found a free service here http://www.altomerge.com/.

Related Posts with Thumbnails