Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Fall is here and I'm so excited!!! Ok, so Ontario is having unseasonably warm and sunny weather lately (20C/68F!!) but when I made this dish last week it was lovely and cool and totally Autumn-y!! Not only does the cool, crispness of Fall days make me want to cook up pots of beef stew, soups and apple crisp but it apparently also makes me get the urge to make up such words as 'autumn-y' and pass it off as real vocabulary. I don't question the power of Fall I just go with it!

When I came across this delicious recipe on a wonderful blog called The Hungry Housewife I knew I had to make it. Pumpkin, spices AND oatmeal all together in one bowl!?! That's a perfect bowl of autumnal bliss right there!

Yes, homemade oatmeal may not be known for its glam and glitz. It may not be an overly pretty dish but it is definitely right up there as one of my top comfort foods. I do admit to getting odd looks from my husband and kids (we'll henceforth refer to them as 'Non-Homemade Oatmeal Lovers') when I settle in with a huge bowl of homemade oatmeal in the morning, at lunch (or sometimes in the evenings) but I don't care! I love it! Sticks to the ribs and keeps me warm for hours!

I hope you enjoy this taste of Fall as much as I did!

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Inspired by: The Hungry Housewife

Yield: 1 serving



1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oats
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp 100% pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I like mine a little spicy so I used 1/2 tsp)
2 tbsp half and half cream
Garnish -- brown sugar, nutmeg

In a medium saucepan, combine milk and water and bring to a boil. Add oats and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and let it sit for 1 minute. Stir in the brown sugar, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Pour into a bowl and pour half and half around the outer edge of the oatmeal. Sprinkle lightly with extra brown sugar and nutmeg.

2 comments:

Dzoli said...

Yes you people lkiving in fall sure love your pumpkins;)) I love them too any timeof teh year:) Your recepie is sur edifferent of ones falling around:) Worth trying with oatmehl

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Dzoli -- yes, we sure do love our pumpkins and apples!! :) But after several weeks of apple crisps, pumpkin pies etc we do get a little tired of it. ;) That's when we move on to Christmas baking lol.

Related Posts with Thumbnails