Sunday, November 27, 2011

Apple Sour Cream Coffee Cake

This was a wonderful weekend.  Why, you ask?  Not only did we get some family time together but we got some time apart.  Yes, I can attest to the fact that absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder.  My 12 year old was camping in Adirondacks (a wooden structure with three walls) with his Scout troop and my parents had the other two offspring at the cottage with a few of their cousins.  Perfection!   Why did Brad and I pawn off our spawn to various people?  We had our work Christmas party to attend.  We've been going to this party for 18 years but this was the first year that I've been an employee and can be included in the draws for prizes. 

Little did I know but I would leave the par-tay with not only a $50 gift certificate for supper but .... a 32G iPad2 with Wifi!!!  SCORE!!  My hands were shaking I was so thrilled!  This is one of those gadgets that I always wanted to own (I even put it on my Christmas wish list -- 'wish' being the operative word) but never truly thought I'd own one.  They're $650+ each!! 

Needless to say I kept repeating over and over to Brad "I cannot believe I OWN an iPad2!!!".  Then a couple of people asked if I was going to give it to my kids.  I'm pretty sure that I looked at them like they had three heads.  Give this to my mini humans?  Are you mental???  No way!  It's MY Precious! I live a small and sheltered life.  This is how I get my jollies.  So tomorrow I pick up my prize when I go into work and I may be posting my Meal Plan Monday post from my iPad.  *swoon*

Anyway, back to the post at hand!  Today was a horribly wet, dreary and cold day.  The kind of day you just want to hunker down and bake something, play some board games and perhaps read a bit.  And that's exactly what I did.  Ten year old Karate Guy had a 'buffer friend' over (I refer to a friend as a 'buffer' because they tend to stop my kids from fighting/arguing/causing me stress).  Generally buffer children make the afternoon go by perfectly.  If they play their cards right they could also be a taste tester for various baked goods at the Bookworm household. 

To take advantage of the peace and bad weather I decided to use up a bag of 11 McIntosh apples that I had hanging around.   These apples, although tasty, well ..... let's just say these apples would not win any 'pretty apple' beauty contests.   You know the kind.  They may have some dings, an off-centre core or some bad spots.  But honestly.  Who are we to judge?  Which one of us walks around without a ding or misshapen body part?  At least these misshapen oddball apples can be transformed into something wonderful like a cake or muffin.  My jiggly bits?  Not so much.  But I digress ....  these apples, while not perty, still tasted mighty fine.  Especially when they're paired with brown sugar and spices!

This is an easy cake to whip up for a brunch, kids' snacks or 'just because'.  I did increase the apple amount a wee bit which made me increase the baking time a bit and gave me less of a cake-like texture and a much softer, squishier 'cake'.  When I bake an apple treat I want to taste the apple.  Nothing worse than a blaw baked good. :(

Needless to say, I have only a third of the cake left.  I kept having 'just one more bite' {repeatedly}and I gave my parents' a couple of pieces to give them strength after having 5 of their 10 grandchildren stay overnight last night.  I hope you enjoy this treat as much as we did. 

1/2 cup shortening (I used Crisco)
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup sour cream

5 medium apples - peeled, cored & chopped into small pieces (approx. 3 cups)

Filling/Topping
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

3 tbsp butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 350F.  Set oven rack to second lowest level.  Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan and set aside.

In the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large bowl), cream shortening and white sugar until combined.  Add eggs and vanilla; mix until combined and smooth.

In a medium bowl, sift together: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture alternating with the sour cream.
Gently fold in apples.

Prepare filling/topping: in a small bowl, combine nuts (if using), brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add butter and combine with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan.  Top with half of the filling mixture.  Spoon remaining batter over the filling (it may not stretch that far but that's OK).  Top with remaining topping mixture.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.  Serve warm (or cold). 

Recipe Inspired by: http://www.food.com/recipe/fantastic-apple-sour-cream-coffee-cake-89750

2 comments:

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

Congratultions! That's awesome! And just wait and see how much you us it. It's like imagining having to go back to the days before cell phones! What a great way to start the week...

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks Jen! I have it in my possession now but have to wait until the kids are in bed to play with it. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails