Monday, 27 August 2012

Buffet DIY - From Knotty to Sassy

About a year ago my good friends Beth and Chris posted on Facebook that they had an IKEA buffet that they were giving away.  Not one to pass up an opportunity I said I'd love to take it off their hands.   I had wanted a sofa table for behind our loveseat in our family room but a buffet would be even better since I could use it for extra storage.  The buffet looks onto our kitchen so it's a perfect spot to house napkins, placemats, cameras and our much used board games.

Now, I have nothing against knotty pine -- it's just not my thang and doesn't really 'go' with the other furniture/woods in my house.  Since this buffet was free I decided to throw my Type A/'what-if-I-screw-it-up?' mentality out the window and paint this puppy up!  Armed with only the advice of my Benjamin Moore dealer, my inability to judge how long tasks truly take and some free time while the kids were in school and Brad was in Romania on business I went to town on this buffet. 

I am truly thankful that I consulted my BM dealer before I began.  Apparently since this piece has oodles of knots in the pine I couldn't just use my regular Bullseye Primer.  It had to be a special primer otherwise the knots would suck up the paint differently and I'd have a blotchy buffet.  Huh.  This special primer, BIN 2,  is still my beloved Zinsser Bullseye but it also has shellac in it.  It worked wonderfully to give the piece a very consistent look and making the knots a thing of the past.  It's smelly as all get out but if you paint your piece in an area with good air flow you'll be fine.

Now, while I was hanging with my paint peeps I also picked up a very sassy 'Rapture' red (CC-66) in their Aura line of paints.  See, if I was going to put a lot of time into painting this piece I wanted a great quality paint and a colour that would stand out in my very beige and brown family room/kitchen.  With hints of green and red throughout the family room already I thought a big pop of colour is just what the room needed to bring it up a notch.  Was I a little scared of painting something a deep red?  You bet your sweet bippy I was but I got over my worrisome self, put my big girl panties on, picked up a brush and opened my can of primer! 

Note: This is me at my most bad ass.

You may notice in the picture below that I have an elastic band over the top of my primer can.  I gleaned this little tip from Pinterest (ie. crack for moms).  While it was very useful to remove the excess paint from my brush while I was painting, getting the elastic off the can without splattering paint on my person was a whole other story.  Needless to say I removed it out on the lawn ... and proceeded to splatter my legs in little bits of white shellac-laden paint.  Nice.  Live and learn.

Now that I have my paint and supplies ready I needed to get a place set up where I could paint in peace.  You know, some place professional to go in line with my mad, mad painting talent.

Ya, it's just my garage but it worked well.  Above is my set up with some old blankets as drop cloths and some food bins and cardboard boxes to set my doors upon.  Painting is nothing if not glamorous.

Things quickly changed with my set up.  With the serious heat wave that hit us there was no way that I could successfully (or without losing my mind) paint in my garage in the heat.  Therefore I moved my painting project into the kitchen.  Nothing makes Brad get that 'what were you thinking?' face happier than seeing me paint something red on our kitchen table while being distracted while I watch TV -- which is why I did this while he was in Romania.  The picture above shows the doors on my kitchen table with one coat of red.  Not bad but the brush strokes were pretty apparent.

After another coat of paint the cabinet and all its parts were looking mighty fine (but I did end up doing another coat because my Type A personality couldn't let go of the fact that I could see a few brush strokes still).

By this time the allure of painting a piece of furniture and making it my own was wearing off a bit.  I had been painting daily for about an hour and a half each time.  I was hot, my back hurt and I just wanted all my crap beloved things that I had taken out of said buffet to be put back into it and not remain in a pile in my kitchen.  The honeymoon with painting was over and I was in the home stretch.  Let's get 'er done!

I pulled a little more patience out of my back pocket and finished it up.  Once I was done the buffet, in all its various pieces, sat in my garage for 3 weeks so the paint could fully cure.  Because paint doesn't dry, people, it cures.  Brad says so.  During this curing process no one was to touch it, sneeze near it or even look at it wrong.  This paint was going to cure good and long so I wouldn't get any dings or scratches easily into my finished piece. 

This is the little piece of info people forget to tell you.  Don't go slapping on layer after layer of paint then expect to use it as soon as it's dry to the touch.  It ain't ready!  Let it sit a few weeks if possible and you won't regret it.  After those weeks of curing Brad and I put it all together, added my loverly black metal knobs and voila!  It's done!  My buffet has a big old make-over and I love it. 

And now ... the big reveal.  Drum roll please .....

A little red will bring out the sassy side of anything, right? 
Here's the before and after.  What do you think?
I have linked this project to the following blogs:
Our Delightful Home  Making
Sumo's Sweet Stuff Photobucket


April from Comox BC said...

Wow! Looks fantastic - great job! :-)

Anonymous said...

She's a beaut, Laurie! I am only seeing your little project now but I must say it looks awesome. I am an "old dresser junkie" myself, with 2 to be refinished still sitting in my garage. Glad to hear about the "curing" technique as I usually rush through this step because I want to see it all set up! Also, colour is great:) Kelly Visneskie

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks, Kel! After almost a year of being painted it still looks great. No chips or scratches so waiting until the paint cures really pays off.

I have a whole bedroom set here that I'm thinking about painting. I think I may start with my bedside tables and go from there. Painting furniture is a big job but I loved the outcome. I think I've been bitten by the DIY bug. :)

Sara said...

Hi, Laurie! I'm so glad I found your post about how to paint knotty pine. How did you prep your piece before you primed it? I have a similar (varnished) chest of drawers that I am hoping to paint, just not sure where to start- sanding down to the wood, stripping completely, or just sanding lightly. Any tips you could give would be greatly appreciated! Hope you still love the red!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Hi Sara. My buffet had a bit of a shine to it so I just sanded it. It didn't take too much work but wanted to ensure that the paint stuck. Nothing worse than not doing the extra prep only to make more work for you in the long run, right? After I sanded it I wiped it with a damp rag.

As I mentioned in the post, just make sure you use the proper primer (with shellac in it) to hide the knots. This is VITAL!

Also, thin coats of paint are better to put on and are quicker to dry.

Take your time and enjoy! I've been itching to try painting another piece of furniture. I've been wanting to find a small, pedestal table to use as a side table in my family room that I can refurbish. It's really a lot of fun and I'd love to try chalk paint and scuff up the table a bit too.

Good luck on your project and yes, I do still love the red. Nothin' like a punch of colour in a room. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey there, the BIN2 is not shellac based paint, its an alternative which I have no idea on how good it is but it seems like a decent one, can you give tips on use, does it dry very quickly and any advise on paint brushes or tips on use?

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks for the info on BIN2. The people at Benjamin Moore said it had shellac in it (or maybe similar enough?). It worked really well though. I used a good quality brush to get along the door edges/crevices and then a small foam roller to do the large flat areas. Not using too much paint while brushing/rolling helped keep things even too. I found that it dried quickly but I also let it sit for days and days. This was a tip from the BM people because it takes paint awhile to fully cure. I hope these tips help. :)

Sam said...

The BIN2 does not have shellac in it, the regular BIN does, the BIN2 is a more economic alternative, its probable that the BIN is better but shellac can be costly depending on supply.

How long did it take to fully cure and its supposed to used to seal odors, did it seal any odors from the wood by any chance? Did you have to use additional coats and if so are you supposed to use it quickly?

Did it smell during the time it cured or only before it dried, any help will be appreciated.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Hi Sam -- I really enjoyed using the BIN2. It went on easily and didn't smell as bad as I was expecting (I painted in my garage with the door open). I kept the buffet in the garage for 3 weeks to ensure that the paint would cure. After almost 2 years we have no scratches and the paint job looks great still. As for odors? The buffet I used didn't have any odors so I can't answer that, sorry.

I did 1 primer coat and two coats of the red paint. I was impressed with how well the paint I used covered the knots in the buffet and I was quite happy with the Benjamin Moore paint that I used as my final coats.

Related Posts with Thumbnails