Thursday, 23 August 2012

Ultimate Chicken Marinade

I'm not sure about you but I cannot believe that we have less than two weeks before the kids go back to school.  Usually by this time of year my kids are starting to get on each other's last frayed nerve and I'm ready for them to hit the books again and get out of my hair for a bit each day.  For some reason this summer is different.   Maybe it's because this seems to be the fastest summer EVER!  Maybe it's because I'm afraid it's the last summer I may be able to have off with my kids.  Or perhaps it's because we're packing in as much fun as we can into this summer which is making it fly by. 
 
See, at the beginning of the summer our family sat down and brainstormed a list of things that we wanted to do, visit, eat etc.  We called it our Family Summer Bucket List.  This list included things like going on hikes (check), going to Great Wolf Lodge (check), getting ice cream at a local organic dairy (check), going to the drive-in (check) and hitting the beach (check!), hitting the all-you-can-eat fish and chips at a local restaurant (hopefully next week), going to Wonderland (hopefully soon) .... 
 
So far, we're doing pretty well on our list of fun things to do and even added an impromptu trip to Niagara Falls this week.   Can I just say that I adore doing last minute day trips with my family?!?  Who doesn't love a nice drive with coffees in hand to get to a new place to explore, have supper out with no normal everyday things to distract us from just spending time together??  It's truly blissful for me to have my family all to myself!
 
One of the things in Niagara Falls that we loved was visiting some of the local tacky touristy attractions like Ripley's 'Believe It Or Not' and all the funky stuff that entails.  Below are some pics from one of our favourite stops.  You can see Oprah and I chatting about books and HP and I posing for the camera in Louis Tussaud's Wax Museum.  Our family had a blast taking various shots with (wax) celebrities.
 
 
 
Anyway, due to the fact that we're focusing on doing all things fun this summer I really haven't had the urge to try new recipes this summer.  Or maybe it's the heat.  Who knows why I've lost my cooking mojo?  Luckily, this week I had the sudden urge to try something new.  With Brad and Boy 1 back from a week long canoe/portaging trip in the wilds north of ... Kingston, Ontario I wanted to feed my menfolk something hearty and full o'love after their fun but exhausting week away.  Boring old BBQ'd chicken wouldn't do though.  I needed to jazz it up with a marinade and boy oh boy this was a great addition to regular old chicken breasts.  Slightly sweet from brown sugar, tangy from the balsamic and the distinct flavour of the sesame oil this makes a truly wonderful addition to my marinade repertoire.
 
I'm hoping that you've all had a wonderful summer!  What are some of the things that you've done this summer? Leave me a comment below.  I'm always on the lookout for cool things to do with the family!
 
 
 
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup grapeseed or olive oil
2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
 
In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until the sugar dissolves. 
 
Place chicken in a large Ziploc bag.  Pour marinade over chicken and marinate for 4 hours.  If possible, flip chicken half way through the marinating time to ensure that the marinade coats the chicken.
 
Grill chicken over medium heat until internal temperature reaches 165F (74C) and the juices run clear.  Serve immediately.
 

 

4 comments:

Kym said...

You know I love you, right? Well tonight you were the Queen of our house. I made this chicken tonight and it was a hit!! Yup I BBQ in Jan. and Yup it is totally worth it :)
I used chicken legs, I was feeding a bunch of MAJOR eaters so it is cheaper than chicken breasts. My 3 year old gobbled up 3.
thanks.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Oh dearest Kym! You know I love you right back.

As for the marinade? You liked it! You really LIKED it!! I had a kind of royal feeling all day. Must have been from your marinade love. :)

We are also big winter BBQers (by 'we' I mean Brad and by 'winter' I mean come hail, come snow come iced over BBQ my man will grill me some food!).

We typically use boneless chicken thighs instead of the pricey breasts but any cut would do. I'd also love to try it on pork tenderloin.

Thanks for the shout out. I do love to hear when people use and like what I post.

If you're looking for a good salad dressing check out the Maple Balsamic Dressing I posted earlier this week. I lurrrved it!

Amanda Cameron said...

Hi Laurie,
I made this on boneless, skinless breasts yesterday for Colin's birthday party. 13 guests and everybody loved it. Thanks for the great recipe!
Amanda

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Amanda, I'm so happy that you guys loved this marinade. You comments reminded me about this recipe. I suffer from the 'so many recipes, so little time' issue. I'm planning on putting on this week's meal plan. Thanks for leaving me a comment. I love hearing that people enjoy my posts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails