Thursday, 14 May 2015

Disclaimer

Author: Renee Knight
Genre: Suspense
Type: e-book
Source: NetGalley
Hardcover Page Count: 304
Publisher: Doubleday
First Published: April 9, 2015
First Line: "Catherine braces herself, but there is nothing left to come up."

Book Description from GoodReadsFinding a mysterious novel at her bedside plunges documentary filmmaker Catherine Ravenscroft into a living nightmare. Though ostensibly fiction,The Perfect Stranger recreates in vivid, unmistakable detail the terrible day Catherine became hostage to a dark secret, a secret that only one other person knew--and that person is dead.

Now that the past is catching up with her, Catherine’s world is falling apart. Her only hope is to confront what really happened on that awful day even if the shocking truth might destroy her.
 


My Review:  Hype.  I hate hype because it, more often than not, gives me such high expectations of a book only to have them dashed.  Disclaimer is one of those books (a la Gone Girl) that has a lot of buzz surrounding it.  It also has a great premise which is why I decided to ignore the hype and pick it up anyway.  The story is this: imagine being mysteriously given a book and when you read it you find that your biggest secret is revealed within the story. Someone knows the skeletons in your closet but you don't know who it is.

That's the premise of Disclaimer and as the story progresses the reader gets to slowly learn the big secret Catherine's has been hiding for so many years.  This book is touted as a suspense read but I'd have to say that it's more of a mystery with a twist.  There just wasn't that much 'edge of your seat' suspense or a fast pace that I was expecting.  

I also never truly got engaged with the characters.  That's a big thing for me.  Huge.  I don't have to love everything the main characters do but every character in this book fell flat and I just didn't care about them.  Any of them.  It also took quite awhile for me to be engaged in the story.  I'd read a bit, put the book down for a day then pick it up again to read a bit more. It just didn't grab me.

There was a twist towards the end of the book that I didn't predict but I didn't feel that the lead up to the big reveal justified it.  It felt a little lackluster after wondering for so long about Catherine's big secret.  But the twist was able to propel the story in a different way and made me view a certain character in a different light so that was a plus. 

I wish there was more energy infused throughout the story and the characters.  I wanted to lose myself in the story but found myself, more often than not, checking how far along I've read in the hopes that things would pick up.  There are a lot of people who loved this book but in the end, it just wasn't for me. 

My Rating: 2/5 stars

Disclaimer: My sincere thanks to Doubleday and NetGalley for providing me with a complimentary e-book copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails