Thursday, 23 July 2015

Coconut Lime Rice

My readers know that I adore potatoes.  My love of the spud is bordering on obsession, actually.  But every so often I get the urge for another kind of side dish.  I like rice but I'm not an avid eater of it.  Admittedly I prefer my rice in a pudding (if you're a fan of rice pudding you have GOT to try this recipe) or with some kind of sauce on it.  Rice, let's face it, is rather bland on its own.

This recipe combines some of my favourite flavours - citrus (lime) and coconut - with my favourite rice, basmati.   I have whole-heartedly jumped on the coconut oil band wagon over the past few months (have you tried sauteing broccoli in it?  Divine!) and with the nutty taste of basmati rice I thought that this would be a hit.

I enjoyed this rice.  The coconut milk gives it a slightly creamy taste and texture and the lime zest gives it a wee kick too.  If you're not big on a coarse texture you may opt to leave out the coconut flakes.  We didn't love its coarseness in contrast to the soft rice.  It stood out too much and I don't plan to add it next time.

Overall, I would make this side dish again.  I think it would go great with pretty much any grilled meat, pan-fried fish and/or as a side dish for an Asian inspired meal.



1 cup Basmati rice
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp butter
1/4 cup flaked coconut (I used sweetened) -- optional
1 large lime - zested and juiced
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
salt and black pepper - to taste

In a fine colander rinse rice under cool water until water runs clear; drain well.

Heat coconut oil and butter in a large pot (that has a lid) over medium-high heat.  Stir in rice and coconut flakes (if using) and cook for 3-4 minutes.  

Stir in lime juice, coconut milk, chicken broth, lime zest and salt.  Bring mixture to a low boil.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  Cook for 15 minutes or until rice is done.  Remove from heat and allow it to sit for 5 minutes, covered.  Fluff with a fork and season with fresh black pepper, if desired.

A perfect paring with Honey Lime Haddock or as a side dish for Asian and/or Indian dishes.

Source: Inspired by - Allrecipes.com - Coconut Lime Rice

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails