Sunday, 5 July 2015

Opening the Veil

Author: C.L Clark
Genre: Supernatural, Light Mystery
Series: #1 in the New Sight series
Type: e-book
Source: Directly from author
Publisher: Independent (CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform)
First Published: March 21, 2015
First Line: "The water is a perfect lapis lazuli blue as it ripples out from my body."

Book Description from GoodReadsOne choice can change everything.

When Cassie agrees to go on a date with her gorgeous new neighbor, she doesn’t expect the night to end with a glimpse into eternity. Within twenty-four hours she discovers not only are young women being brutally murdered around her beloved town, but an ancient evil is using her new neighbor like a puppet to do the killing. Knowing the police won’t believe her without solid proof, she makes it her mission to find the evidence they need. Add to that how her cat has started talking to her, plus she's seeing ghosts that want her help, and it’s no surprise that she’s beginning to question her sanity. Will she be able to help the living and the dead and not end up another victim? She'll need to learn fast if she wants to survive in one piece.

This is the first book in the New Sight Series - a paranormal mystery series about a young woman whose eyes are opened to the hidden world around her and her compulsion to help the dead seek answers and justice.


My Review: I'd deem Opening the Veil as a light supernatural mystery with a touch of humour.  It has a lot going on, especially with it being the first book in a new series, but overall it worked.  

Personally I would have liked more suspense and supernatural action but I think that cat lovers who like a light mystery with a paranormal twist will enjoy this book.  My concerns about this book generally have more to do with personal preferences than quality of writing.  Clark's writing is generally strong and descriptive which helped in setting up the scenes and introducing the secondary characters (which were quite entertaining and memorable). 

Unfortunately I'm not a cat person per se and this book is a cat lover's paradise.  I have nothing against cats but I found the references to all things kitty too overpowering for the story.  I realize that Cassie loves her cat, Alli, but there were some scenes that I just felt were too over the top to be believable.  For example, I just couldn't believe that hospital staff, family and friends of Cassie's would think that bringing her cat into the hospital to stay with Cassie was a good idea.

Cassie was a likable and endearing main character with a good sense of humour and a penchant for putting her nose into mischief.  A good mix for a protagonist of a light mystery.  She's new to this investigation stuff but she doesn't come off as stupid or overly naive for the most part.  She has a heart (as witnessed in the trailer scene which I found touching) and is brave enough to jump into the fray to solve the mystery.  She makes some rash decisions at times but I'm chalking that up to her new found status as newbie investigator. 

Clark wasn't afraid to go into this book with both feet and I appreciate that.  There is a lot going on in this first book in a new series.  Many ideas were good but I can't help but feel that not enough time was given to some of Cassie's supernatural abilities. The reader gets a peek at these powers but I would have loved to get a better understanding about why Cassie has these powers or why suddenly her cat can talk to her and has special abilities.  I can only assume that these loose ends will be given more page time in future books.

Clark's writing was strong and her plot moved well and held my interest.  Her setting was welcoming and her secondary characters were engaging and memorable too.  I appreciate that Clark didn't rely on the age old 'romance' factor right out of the gate and kept the focus on introducing her readers to Cassie and Kensington Falls.  On the downside I think that the strong focus on all things cute and kitty may detract from the mystery aspect and may not endear her to non-cat people who would rather have more mystery than cute cat scenes.

My Rating: 3/5 stars

Disclaimer:  My sincere thanks to author C.L Clark for providing me with a complimentary e-book copy of her book in exchange for my honest, unbiased review.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails