Thursday, 24 March 2016

Bacon and Blue Cheese Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

It's a snow/ice day here in Bookwormville which means our school board has deemed the results of the ice storm last night too dangerous for the buses to run.  Buses and school are cancelled (and I can't blame them.  It's nasty out there).

This means my kids are over the moon because, due to Easter, they now get a five day weekend.  Wha?!  Where was that when I was a kid??  This snow day makes it the perfect time to hunker and just veg.  Lie like broccoli.  Watch Netflix.  Bake some cookies and perhaps blog in my jammies ... before I have to go to work this afternoon.  Them's the breaks.  Some of us still have to go to work.

It's been awhile since I've had a recipe up on my blog so I thought I'd share a delicious pork dish that I made for Brad and I a little while ago.  After serving a dish that used blue cheese I had some blue cheese crumbles left over and just begging to be used.  Back in the day (aka ten years ago) I hated blue cheese.  Just the thought of eating cheese with mold made me cringe.  But as I got older I learned to love the stinky cheese.

With a pork tenderloin, my blue cheese and a few other sundries from my fridge I came up with this recipe.  Tender, tasty and pretty impressive this was a hit with Brad and I.  My kids are still in the 'blue cheese is mold and therefore gross' camp so they made their own dinners and we didn't have to share with them.  They'll come around eventually.  Until then, Brad and I don't have to share.


Source: The Baking Bookworm

1 large pork tenderloin
2 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
1 green onion, sliced
2 tbsp. blue cheese crumbles
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)

Preheat oven to 375F.  Line a baking pan with foil and set aside.

Slice the pork tenderloin lengthwise almost all the way through.  Lie the pork flat on a work surface.

Combine the cream cheese, Dijon, green onion, blue cheese crumbles, oregano, basil and pepper in a small bowl. 



Spoon the cheese mixture onto half of the pork tenderloin and then fold the other half of the meat over top of the mixture.  Pinch the edges of the pork tenderloin together and pin them together with toothpicks. 



Brush the pork lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 160F.  Tent the meat with tin foil and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.  Slice and serve immediately.

Great side dish options:

Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots


Lemon Rosemary Orzo





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails