Friday, 1 April 2016

Barnyard Murder

Author: Mak K. Han
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Type: e-book
Series: #2 in the Strawberry Shores mystery series
Source: Directly from author??
Publisher: Self Published
First Published: February 5, 2016
First Line: "1975 - "Hello? Is anyone in here?"

Book Description from GoodReads: Laura is a librarian living in Strawberry Shores. There has been a murder before, but surely there wouldn’t be another one so soon, would there?
Laura is back as the sleuth working on her second murder case. With a list of all new suspects, she enlists the help of her trusty sidekicks, Emily and Alex to help solve the crime to leave Strawberry Shores safe for tomorrow!


My Review:  This was probably the shortest mystery I've ever read at only 79 pages.  Yup, it's an itty-bitty cozy mystery that has a cute setting and is packed full of characters.  Unfortunately a book this short doesn't have the time to give readers a chance to get to know the characters let alone multiple twists or even a healthy dose of suspense.  The limitations of this book's size made this cozy mystery lackluster for me.

The characters were okay but underdeveloped.  I liked that Laura was a librarian but the attitudes and behaviours of her friends (who initially I thought to be her tween/teenage daughters) came off as overly juvenile for characters who were actually grown adults. 

Unfortunately this book had potential but missed the mark for me. I would have given it a higher rating if it had more suspense, a stronger murder plot as well as a better explanation and use of Laura's paranormal powers (which I felt were underutilized). 

My Rating: 2.5/5 stars

Disclaimer:  My sincere thanks to author Mak K Han for providing me with a complimentary e-book copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails